Wednesday, April 2, 2008

"the word on the street"

As there is seldom any legitimate news coverage of the homeless under the overpass, I have to rely on the "word on the street" to keep up to date on the happenings in the tent encampment. The "word" is useful, because it allows me to track the development of the camp, but it must be taken with many grains of salt, since it is all based on hearsay. I mention all of this, because the only news I have today is street-talk...

Multiple homeless individuals have stated to me that the police are now fining people for feeding homeless under the overpass. Usually, for the duration of my visits (which last from 30m to 1h30m), I will see 2 to 3 cars drive by with food for the homeless. Today, I noticed that there were no food deliveries during my visit. Also, many approached me asking for food, complaining that food deliveries are coming less frequently.

Other street news is that many homeless are leaving the city. The electrician that I met yesterday was leaving for Houston just as I arrived. I cannot say for sure, but it seems that those homeless who had hopes for easy-to-find jobs and nice weather are quickly becoming disillusioned. It's starting to get hot outside, and the police are not getting friendlier. Many are just getting "fed up" with waiting for help, and have decided to move on.

Of course, this ONLY pertains to the homeless under the overpass... there are MANY other homeless sites around the city (which I hope to visit)... the situation in those locations may be COMPLETELY different....

No comments: