Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Yay-ness

Plenty of stuff has been going on, the past couple of days:

1. Richard Brucker, a medical student, created flyers that had details about different organizations giving aid to the homeless, which he then posted out on the streets near the homeless settlements. Great Stuff... I'm going to upload the flyer, so anyone who reads this blog can see it, print it, and distribute it, if they feel that they know someone who may need the information. It is also a good source for people who want to volunteer... since the flyer has phone numbers.... anyone can call these organizations, and they will be more than happy to get more volunteers.

2. Yesterday, I went back the the I-10 bridge ("the Village," as one of my friends likes to call it) with Jay and (another Dorothy), second year medical students. We chatted with folks, and found that they have a serious need for latrines (although the stench spoke for itself). We saw that they have a somewhat organized community under the overpass. Many have mattresses set up on the concrete, and one couple even has a whole bed with a box-spring and frame. Their belongings are all kept in garbage bags which they stack around their beds in order to cut the wind, as its strength seems to be amplified by the bridge and pilings. There is some violence and some drug dealing going on, but the inhabitants impressed on us that the level was not even close to that of Tent City. We observed as one do-gooder (I think his name was "Railroad Jack") brought a box filled with fried chicken breasts to the homeless. Apparently, even the "Village" gets well fed.... but they made sure that we understood... they want homes and jobs more than free food.

3. People keep asking me... "what is your goal?" "why are you doing this?" At first, I wasn't sure. "There are people in a street, I'm not... so why SHOULDN'T I help them?" Well, that answer doesn't fly.... so... I've thought about it. My goal is to reduce homelessness in New Orleans. Yes, this is STILL very broad... I need to determine a percentage or proportion by which I want to reduce homelessness, if I'm going to be thorough about it... which I will. How will I do it? Well, now that I understand that these people are NOT just winos, and that they have a desire to get off the streets, my next plan of action is to take a two-pronged approach: conduct a scientific survey of the population + address the immediate needs of the population, in the meantime. I am developing a survey, right now, actually. I want to examine the situation from health, social, economic, and personal (to the homeless person) angles. With some real data, I feel that local officials will be more inclined to approach the problem and help out... right now, all they have is hearsay, and hearsay doesn't get funding.

4. Addressing immediate needs. So, they REALLY need latrines... right now, both Tent City and the I-10 village are filthy with human excrement... this is not acceptable in a "developed country." I have been talking to professors at the Tulane School of Public Health, and have been told that simple, sanitary latrines can be constructed out of large cans that are lined with trash bags and toilet seats and filled with lime. So, some students and I are going to seek some resources to construct these latrines, as well as some basic shelters to put AROUND the latrines, so homeless people don't get arrested for indecent exposure.

Yeap... that's what I have going on, right now. I'm working on constructing a report, delineating the current status of the homeless, as well as a history of the situation... I'll post it when it's finally written.

No comments: